Following 3 seasons of Project Eliseg (2010-12) – a collaborative fieldwork project investigating the enigmatic Pillar of Eliseg near Valle Crucis, Llangollen, Denbighshire – I have been busy speaking about our preliminary findings. Now seems like a good point to step back and recap all the talks I have given on this project. My collaborators – Gary, Nancy and Dai have also presented talks on the site, so the list below is simply the talks I have presented, not the full list of talks and papers presented by all the project members.
3 key observations come out of this list.
1) how busy I have been speaking about the project in North Wales, NW England and abroad.
2) how I need to think up some interesting puns for future presentation titles…
- The Pillar of Eliseg’s Topography of Memory. Early Medieval Wales Research Group Colloquium, 22nd – 23rd March 2014.
- The Outstanding Biography of Eliseg. European Association for Archaeologists Annual Conference, Pilsen, 5th – 8th Sept 2013
- Community Archaeology will save the Middle Ages from Extinction, Rethinking Medieval Methodologies: 21st Century Approaches to Understanding the Middle Ages. Nottingham Institute for Medieval Research 4th Annual Postgraduate Conference, 7th July 2012, University of Nottingham.
- The Past in the Past at the Pillar of Eliseg. Theoretical Archaeology Group Conference, University of Bristol, December 2010.
- Remembering elites, Internationales Sachsensymposium, Haderslev, Denmark. September 2010.
- Project Eliseg 2010-2012: Investigating the Origins of Powys. Holt Local History Society, 23rd Jan 2014
- Stone Sentinels in the Early Medieval Landscape, John Levitt Memorial Lecture, Keele University, 23rd Nov. 2013
- Project Eliseg, Corwen Archaeology Group, 17th October 2013
- Project Eliseg, Llangollen Museum AGM, 11th Sept. 2013
- Project Eliseg 2010-12. Chester Archaeological Society Lecture, May 2013
- Captive and Captivating Audiences, St John’s Priory, Chester. Keynote speaker and public lecture: Runes, Monuments and Memorial Carvings International Research Network Workshop, University of Chester, 8th-9th April 2013
- Project Eliseg 2010-2012: Investigating Eliseg’s Pillar. Clwyd Archaeology Dayschool organised by Fiona Gale, Denbigh, 24th February 2013
- Project Eliseg and Project Geordie – CPAT AGM, Welshpool, 19th October 2012
- Project Eliseg and Project Geordie – Wrexham Heritage Society, Borras Park School, 3rd October 2012
- Crosses and Mounds: Power and Belief in the Early Medieval Landscape, Cheshire Archaeology Day, 14th April 2012 (with Joanne Kirton)
- Myth and Memory at the Pillar of Eliseg, Flintshire Heritage Series, 18th October 2011
- Project Eliseg: Digging Early Medieval Stone Sculpture, Durham Medieval Archaeologists, University of Durham, 6th December 2010